in time

"Do you have any questions or concerns to discuss with the doctor?"
I think for a moment. Zack is fumbling around in the diaper bag. He is down to his diaper, awaiting his 15 month well baby check-up.
"No, no... I don't think I do..."
This is refreshing as I look down at my baby, now a toddler, and I realize "I may be figuring this motherhood thing out." Each appointment before today, I came equipped with a notebook of questions... Am I breast feeding enough? Can I give him formula sometimes? When do I switch to whole milk? Can he have chocolate or strawberries or waffles sweetened with honey? Should he sleep on his back or front? When should he be sitting by himself? When will he walk? How long should he nap? When will he pick up his cup or throw a ball?
At first I feel ill prepared that I do not have a concern at the tip of my tongue. And then a confident calm comes over me. At this moment, I do not have any questions...
Yes, he sucks his left thumb until it is calloused and bruised, but I know the doctor will only tell me time will heal it. He occasionally gets a flaming diaper rash, but I know the doctor will tell me to keep him dry, apply the magic Desitin when necessary and eventually it will heal. And sometimes he has a tantrum for no reason or can't sleep after midnight or refuses to eat his dinner - the same meal he devoured two nights ago. But I know the doctor will just tell me all of this is a stage and time will heal it...
So the nurse simply smiles and I frantically search my mind once more for an unanswered question. I watch Zack drive his Tonka truck back and forth on the tissue paper covering the exam table and I am sure, at this moment, I have no questions...
but in time I will think of one...




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home