Wednesday, August 03, 2005

kerplunk!

LESSONS
During the first days of our recent trip up north, I quickly discovered my new passion was definitely the outlet I have been searching for. With my new camera permanently tied around my neck, I began to notice the world around me that I had previously been distracted from by toddlers and television. I was suddenly more aware of the direction of the sun, the craft of the bricks and mortar in the abandoned building across the lake, the weathered cracks in the pool deck, the lonesome stare of the inn keepers son...

Sitting in my chaise lounge, I found a peaceful occupation in fiddling with the several settings on my new friend. Quietly, I would slip away from the group, obsessed with the sound of the shutter, peering through the view finder on my way down the crushed limestone path to the beach... I was aware and in awe.

My new passion also found my hands occupied when the inconvenient task of changing a diaper, wiping off sticky hands or picking up a tossed sippy cup arose. So I felt I owed it to my husband Friday morning when I invited our favorite little early riser down to the docks with me and my camera.

It was while bouncing down the path to the pier that I felt I had channeled my strongest inspiration. Like my friend in braids, I felt in touch with my surroundings. I was motivated to capture the eastern sun drenching the water and trickling over my son's newly lightened hair. I envisioned stepping to the west hoping to grab a gentle silhouette. Again, I thought of my darling friend and finally understood her passion for the quiet moments she stole... alone with her camera.

Of course, all hopes of the perfect portrait were dashed when my defiant almost-two-year-old refused to sit next to a softly spun spider web and stubbornly pulled away from me on the dock. Kerplunk! While holding my venti latte and new best friend, the gasps from the third story balcony told me I had better jump in. It was during this slow motion moment that I plunged into the lake to save my true love and sacrifice my brand new camera... still hanging around my neck, hardly floating as we once had together down the path to the pier...

Wide eyed and gasping for air, my precious son hardly acted like the dive shook him up much. He moved on from the lake to several water parks for the remainder of the week. He is an energetic swimmer, he truly loves the water... sadly I have no pictures... I am not yet a photographer.

1 Comments:

Blogger CarmenSisson said...

oh my god. i am so sorry. of course you had no choice. i'm glad you're son is ok. but your camera? how is it?

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home