Tuesday, May 10, 2005

hey lady



A client of mine is leaving his job and had his replacement call me so I could continue the marketing and design I have been doing for his small cooking school. His replacement left a message on my voice mail referring to me as the "design lady." I hate being called "lady." So I decided not to call him back for 24 hours even though he left three messages.

I hate the word "lady" (unless it is the name of your dog.) I don't mind woman or girl or chick or chickie or even broad - when used in a "hey - she's a tough broad" kind of way... but don't call me lady.

When I traveled for business I assisted in setting up our booth at tradeshows. Each time, while assembling the mechanical nightmare with another female collegue, at least five "guys" would stop and ask "Do you ladies need any help?" No, we did not. In fact, we built that thing up so fast, we were in and out of each exhibit hall before the "dudes" - enjoying a cocktail or a manicure before official show hours.

My brother-in-law said I am overreacting... But you tell me? Are any of you offended my the same title? What is it about the term "lady" that feels so disrespectful and demeaning?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home